Wednesday 1 February 2012

Officially...

... I am now divorced.  Signed and sealed by Madam Justice at the courthouse.  People are asking me how I feel and in all honesty I don't feel much of anything.  As far as I'm concerned, I was divorced the day I confronted my ex about her infidelity and she looked me in the eyes and spewed the most obnoxious stream of bullshit out of her mouth to try to save her own skin, while fucking some lowlife ex-boyfriend at the same time.  I'd like to believe she wasn't the woman I married, but in truth, I don't think that woman ever existed.  She was a serial cheater who was ashamed and trying to outrun her past, and I viewed her through the eyes of a desperately lonely man who could save her soul.  She tried hard enough, I think, but the easy route has always been too hard to resist for her.  And as much as she will never admit it, me leaving her affected her more deeply than she expected and affected me more positively than she wanted.

A couple of people have offered to take me out for drinks tonight, but I don't think this is an event to celebrate.  Maybe in a day or two, but not tonight.  I'll talk to my sons before their bedtime, do the dishes, make a cup of tea and watch music videos on Youtube and then call it a night.

Tracy Chapman is one of the most prolific musicians of our generation, and this is one of my favourite songs.  It has one of the most memorable lines in any song I know:

You will do and say anything/To make your everyday life seem less mundane


I think we all do, in our own way, and the ultimate irony is that no one's life really is mundane.  It's a roller coaster of ups and downs, triumphs and tribulations, successes and setbacks, love and heartache.  It's intertwined in all of us and they are stories worth telling.  That's why I love blogs, bloggers and blogging.  Good night all

-PW


2 comments:

  1. I loved the last line in the first paragraph. Bingo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, that's funny because that line I was considering deleting, because to me it sounds a little too clunky. Glad I left it alone!

    ReplyDelete