Monday 6 February 2012

Dear Neighbour Across the Back Lane...

Hi there,

You don't know me, but I live in one of the apartments across the back lane from your house.  I've never introduced myself properly, but we've smiled and nodded when we've crossed paths in the back lane.  Anyway, this isn't the purpose of this letter.

It's your daughter.  just about every weekend night since I've moved into this neighbourhood, your daughter and her friend cut through the parking lot underneath my bedroom window.  That's not the problem.  It's not my personal property, so go ahead.  My problem is that

a) it's anywhere between 2-4 in the morning
b) she is LOUD
c) she is clearly severely intoxicated

The last straw came this Saturday night when your daughter and her friend (maybe sister?) were cutting through the parking lot while they are shouting and arguing with someone on her cell.  It woke me up at about 3 in the morning.  Then I hear the sound of breaking bottles.  I look out my bedroom window to see your daughter and her friend smashing bottles against the apartment next to ours.  You may have even heard it. Yes, all that broken glass you may have noticed was from your daughter.

Then her and her friend both take down their pants and proceed to urinate right under my window, while STILL arguing loudly and being disruptive on her cell.  I opened my window and told her not to piss against my building, to which I received a torrent of obscenities and accusations that I'm a dirty old man, a peeping tom and I should mind my own business.  Probably not the smartest thing to do, I got dressed, intending on confronting them myself, but by the time I got outside, they'd presumably gone home.

This has been happening consistently since I've moved in 8 months ago.  Your daughter cannot be any more than 14 years old, and I find it really concerning she's drinking this much at such a young age.  I'm positive you aren't ignorant of it either.  At the end of our street is a clinic who can provide resources to help your daughter and yourself, should you both choose.  They are free and non-judgmental and can provide help and support.  I have personal experience living in an environment where someone may be abusing alcohol or drugs, and it can be personally shaming.  There is nothing to be ashamed about.  Alcoholism affects people of all ages and all lifestyles.  I implore you, from one parent to another, to seek help.

Of course, you could tell me this is none of my business, and you'd be right.  In which case, I'd still like your cooperation in your daughter's disruptive behaviour.  Because the next time, I may simply call the police and be done with it.

Thank you.

Your neighbour,

Prairie Wanderer.

2 comments:

  1. So...did you send it? Because...dude...you should have sent it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I sent it... nothing last night, although it was bloody freezing last night... tonight's warmer, so we'll see.

    ReplyDelete