Saturday 5 May 2012

Moving Back to the Speed of Normal



That was a busy set of weeks, I gotta tell ya.  But I've been around, periodically checking up on you all and seeing how you've been.  For my part, I've been putting in some overtime at work, going to Nick's soccer games twice a week, taking the boys out to the park one weekday evening, taking them every other weekend, playing soccer & practice twice a week, doing a laundry list of jobs for mom and dad and maintaining a sort-of relationship in my spare time.  Probably not as busy as some of you experience, but definitely busy by my lazy, shoe-gazing standards. 

I've also been half-jogging/half-walking home from work - about 10 kilometers a day.  Not every day, but close to every day and that's good enough for me.  My goal is the 10k run on Father's Day - about 6 weeks away.  Doable.  But I'm not forcing the issue.  If I feel good and motivated enough, I'll go for it.  If not, then I'll do another run on another day.

The ankle is swollen and grumpy and aching - playing soccer has pushed it around a bit and it does not like it.  I'm fine when I play, but I have the icepacks ready to go when I get home.  It's nothing serious, and the orthopedic surgeon told me to expect this.  It's still a little frustrating though.


And yes, I've been seeing someone.  More accurately, I've been having sex with someone, as there is really no other dimension to our relationship.  I met her at a local pub my friend was playing music at, chatted, hit it off and have had this Friends With Benefits thing going ever since.  It hasn't been without its bumps, but she's fun and steady and uninhibited and a free spirit, which I think is what I need right now.  But while what we've had is fun, it has the feel of winding down now.  She wants marriage and love, while I do not. 

Did I mention she’s 51? 

I suppose that’s none too shocking anymore.  Intergenerational hook-ups happen all the time (as they probably always have), and thanks to the Internet, it’s really no big deal.  I’m fine with it.  She’s a little iffier about it, but she was attracted to my maturity and my masculine nerdiness so her defences were breached, so to speak, as she assured me that I was normally and emphatically not her type.  As for me, this isn’t even my first hookup with a woman in her 50s.  I had a fling with a 52 year old when I was 24.  No, I don’t have an older woman fetish or anything.  Sometimes things just work out that way.

My uncle is in town from England, and as it works out, all of my English relatives are the ones that I wished lived here instead of the relatives who actually do live here.  We’re doing some real nerding out over Newcastle United as they make their last concerted push toward the Champions League.  We’re also planning a three day road trip around Manitoba, and I’m really looking forward to it.

So… how are things on your end?  J


- PW

2 comments:

  1. The father of my daughter was 22 when we met. I was 40. Neither one of us planned on being key players in each others life. I had been trying to get pregnant via a sperm bank for over a year with no success, so figured I was probably too old. I told him this and we happily spent a lovely Halloween evening together after a wild party. Sans contraception. I don't know which one of us was more stunned when it became obvious that we were going to be parents. He signed away parental rights when our daughter was 4 months old but came back when she was 3 and asked to be a part of our lives. Now, I can't imagine life without him, he's one of my closest friends and although he travels a lot for his job, one of the most hands on fathers I know.

    People will surprise you. Or as my sainted Irish mother used to say, "Make plans, God laughs."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did a similar thing after my divorce. I was 30, he was 20, and it was awesome. He ended up wanting to be married and have children and we parted amicably. I think that six months was the healthiest of my relationship career, though. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete